Skip to main content

90s Style Categories

 
Denim, tie dye, backward baseball caps, bright colors, overalls, and knee highs are just some of the things that remind most people of the 90s.  I'm horrified when I look back at most pictures I have as a child, as I dressed more like Nickelodeon's Clarissa and Alex Mack instead of like the more trendy 90s styles. I wore tshirts with denim shorts and overalls quite often. One thing I miss about those days is the comfort. I was not aware of most of the 90s fashions that were available at the time (hey we didn't have internet yet) and I basically wore whatever my parents bought me. It was nice to be able to dress for comfort! Kids nowadays seem to be beyond their years and dress much older than their age.
I've been thinking of having a 90s party this year, and this time perhaps I'll actually dress in a different 90s style that I never wore when I was younger. I'm breaking down some of the styles into categories below. These are categories in my mind, and not necessarily what they were called at the time. Watching many shows from the 90s now remind me of different styles, so I will compare to certain characters below.


90s Grunge 


The hot grunge look pairs black tights with denim shorts or overalls. A plaid button up shirt can be worn open or tied around the waist.

 

While I love the 'hot grunge' look, the picture above was more the norm for grunge. Baggy t shirts, denim, and plaid shirts tied around the waist were seen very often.


Casual


Bright colors, t shirts, tie dye, backwards caps, hair bands... the picture from Clarissa Explains it All is a great representation of the 90s laid back style. She often wore bright spandex biker shorts, which I must admit I had many of in the 90s. If it looks like a highlighter threw up on you, you've pulled off the 90s.


Denim

Denim, denim, denim! Denim vests, jackets, and jeans were very prevalent.  Bedazzling your denim was very popular as well. Denim just isn't enough, it has to sparkle!


Preppy


  I loved knee highs in the 90s. The preppy look included mini skirts and knee highs, and quite often a hair band.

90s Hip Hop


Baggy pants with abstract prints and bright colors were big. I have a picture of my uncle in black and yellow bright pants that makes me groan and laugh at the same time. As if overalls weren't laid back enough, overalls with one shoulder was a very popular style. If you want an idea of the bright crazy design shirts to wear, just watch The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air or Saved by the Bell.


 Mc Hammer or Parachute pants belong in a category of their own (because they're just that awful), but i'll put them under hip hop. My mom actually bought me a pair of these when I was 10, and I refused to ever wear them as when I put them on it looked like I was wearing a diaper. Who ever thought this was a good idea was blind.

Sexy


Miniskirts and crop tops, oh my! Kelly Kapowski and Buffy are good examples of this style. 

 This picture is in between casual and sexy since they have bike shorts paired with crop tops.

Floral Babydoll


Loose comfortable babydoll dresses were often paired with a blossom style hat or a hair band. Claire Danes in My So Called Life wore these dresses frequently in the show.

Tracksuits and Windbreakers

Bright colors and abstract prints were hugely popular in windbreakers and tracksuits.

 



I hope this gives you ideas for dressing in 90s fashion. Add a small backpack purse to your mini skirt and knee highs or a backwards cap and raybans to your overalls to accessorize!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY costume - Tinkerbell

Just the thought of dressing up as Tinkerbell makes you feel delicate and petite! Most of the accessories this time are from Amazon, with dresses from Shein. If you already have blonde hair, then you can always buy a bun hairpiece to make a larger bun, or just put your hair in a bun if you have thick hair! Oh and use my  code  at Shein for 10% off your order! This first dress definitely has Tinkerbell vibes! Size 2-12   Fairy cut dress   Tinkerbell Flats   Tinkerbell Wig   Iridescent Wings Rhinestone Fishnet Stockings If you prefer a fit n flare style, then this dress is for you! It still makes a great Tinkerbell, but with a little more coverage. This dress is totally my style so I’m very jealous it is not in my size!  Sizes 0-12 Fit n Flare Dress Tinkerbell Flats   Tinkerbell Wig   Iridescent Wings     Rhinestone Fishnet Stockings For a longer dress that fits regular up to plus:   Cocktail Dress with POCKETS Tinkerbell Flats   Tinkerbell Wig   Iridescent Wings   Rhinestone Fishnet

DIY Halloween Costumes- Isabela from Encanto

I found a ton of cute lavender dresses a’la Isabela from Encanto. I started with tulle to give the princess feel, and also included more comfortable options. You can get away with just the flower behind your ear, but I think the added ones throughout the hair are more Isabela. I added two options, but Shein does have many options for hair flowers.  Oh and use my  code  at Shein for 10% off your order! The first 3 dresses are Shein sizes  2-12.  This first dress definitely will make you feel like a princess! These shoes are the most accurate to the cosplay as well. Tulle Dress   Mary Jane Ballet Flats     Large Flower hair clips   Small Flower hair clips Dress option 2 is more casual and looks so comfy. You could wear this more often after displaying. As it’s more casual, I also added more casual flats.    Off Shoulder Ruffle Dress   Lavender Flats   2nd Option mini flower hair clips   Large Flower hair clips Halloween costumes always have a short sexy option, right? A short tulle flor

DIY Halloween Costumes - Harley Quinn

I loooove that red dress from Suicide Squad 2. The only place that made the costume version in my size was Hot Topic/Her Universe, but It was already sold out by the time I saw the movie. Since the movie came out, I randomly scour the web for dresses that would work for it. Shein just came out with some! Unfortunately my favorite version is not plus size, but I am trying to post a petite and plus version each time.  Oh and use my  code  at Shein for 10% off your order! Regular/Petite sizing:  Shein lists this dress as size 2-10   Now you COULD cut this dress in a diagonal to look like all the other Harley Quinn dresses out there, but I suggest using the updo wig so that you can wear it as the full ball gown.    Want the look? Click the links below:   Red Gown   Updo Wig   Military Ankle Boots This next dress is also listed as size 2-10, but per the reviews, you can go up to size 14. Want the look? Click the links below:   Short Red Dress Ponytails Wig Military Ankle Boots   Have you se